Holistic Remedies for Seniors with Age Related Aches and Pains
Years of everyday activities, travel, workouts and adventures are what create the wonderful experiences and memories that we have in our lives. As we age, those experiences can become less frequent due to aches and pains. Don’t let aches and pains get in the way of creating new memories, take a look below at the top five holistic remedies for age-related aches and pains.
- Ginger- Studies show that ginger’s anti-inflammatory powers can be equal, if not more powerful, than ibuprofen or aspirin. Since it’s something you can buy at the grocery store, ginger can be added to food, to hot water for tea, or can be found in capsules at your local health food store.
- Peppermint or eucalyptus – One of the main ingredients in both of these natural remedies is menthol. Menthol is known to have a cooling effect on achy, sore muscles. Whether you find it in an oil, lotion or salve—it’s the perfect remedy after a long day.
- Olive oil – Turns out olive oil can be used for more than just Italian night. This oil, derived from olive trees, can be used to lubricate joints to help increase mobility. A small amount of olive oil can be applied directly to the achy bone or joint.
- Epsom salt – Enjoy taking a hot, relaxing bath? Epsom salt is the perfect complement for individuals experiencing sore muscles. The main ingredient in epsom salt is magnesium, which helps relax sore muscles, especially for those with arthritis. If you don’t prefer baths, magnesium can also be found in capsules and teas as well.
- Turmeric – Another powerful anti-inflammatory, turmeric works to decrease inflammation in the body. In addition, turmeric has been shown to increase circulation and prevent blood clotting. The main ingredient, curcumin, lowers enzymes in the body that increase inflammation.
We all experience additional aches and pains that come with aging, but that doesn’t have to mean harsh over the counter medicine or expensive prescriptions. For everyday aches and pains, there are many holistic remedies to keep pain away, so that you can continue to live the life you deserve.