Benefits of Reading for Seniors
Many people read for enjoyment, information, or entertainment, but did you know that reading actually has many benefits for seniors? Studies continue to show that seniors who read more enjoy advantages like stress reduction and sleep improvement to improved brain function and decision making skills. Take a look below at the top six reasons why a good read can bring about more than just an exciting story for seniors.
- Improves brain function – Just like the muscles in your body, your brain needs a workout too! Reading exercises memory recall which helps strengthen the recall of everyday events.
- Sharpening decision making skills – Reading non-fiction can help improve analytical and reasoning skills needed to problem solve. Just another reason to keep up on current events.
- Decreases stress and anxiety – People have many methods for unwinding like a long walk, a favorite song, a nap, or a relaxing cup of tea. However, according to a 2018 study, reading might have them all beat. Reading has been shown to reduce stress up to 68% after just a few minutes.
- Boosts happiness – Reading can not only help the way your brain functions but also help the way it forms your emotions. Psychologists in New York showed that reading can help reduce anxiety by up to 20% and increase feelings of self-confidence by up to 10%.
- Increases empathy – We all want to be understood and what better way to be understood that to try to understand others. Research shows that reading books, particularly fiction, can increase empathy and emotional intelligence as you feel connected to the characters in the story.
- Helps improve sleep – Some seniors report increased difficulty with falling asleep, however, the relaxation induced by reading can make it easier to fall asleep with your book in hand. Studies recommend reading traditional books over electronics as they can have the opposite effect.
Robson Reserve encourages reading with an elegant library where book lovers will appreciate the open space, natural and artificial lighting with the ability to read undisturbed. To learn more about the library or any of the other incredible amenities offered at Robson Reserve, call 623-440-6800.